The word 'Himalaya' means the
home or abode of snow.
• According to Hindu mythology, God Shiva
resides in the Himalaya.
• There are eight peaks with a total of
19 points above 8000 metres in Nepal.
• Fourteen mountains in the Himalaya exceed
• There are 25 points in all which exceed
8000 metres in the Himalaya.
• Nameha Barwa peak is the easternmost and
Nanga Parbat is the westernmost peak of the Himalaya.
• The geological age of the Himalaya is
approximately 70 million years.
• Himalayan rivers are older than the Himalayan
• Kumbhakarna is the new name of mount Jannu
• Gosainthan (8046 m) is the Nepali name
for Shisha Pangma.
• Ninety-five percent of earthquakes occur
in mountainous regions.
• Sir Andrew Waugh, Surveyor General of
India wished to honour his predecessor, Sir George
Everest.For this, Sir Andrew pretended that there
was no local name for Everest and hence named
mountain as Mount Everest though there were two
local names of the mountain. e.g. Sagarmatha in
Nepal and Chomolungma in Tibet.Sir Andrew Waugh
announced the name 'Mount Everest' in 1865.
• The ideal height gain per day for mountaineers
is 1,000 ft above 10,000 ft.
• Nepal opened its borders to the world
• Mallory described Mount Everest from Rongbuk
as, 'a great white fang excrescent on the jawbone
• Why do men climb Everest ? Mallory said,
"Because it is there."
• Sir Edmund Hillary led an expedition to
find the Yeti in 1958.
• According to Dr. George Schaller, the
existence of Yeti unknown to science cannot be
ruled out at
• Reinhold Messner climbed Everest alone.
• Tenzing buried his daughter's red and
blue pencils on the top of Everest.
• Approximately 150 people have died in
different expeditions of Mount Everest so far.
Tenzing was known as 'Himalayan Club Sherpa No